Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shrimp/ Prawn Masala

When I was a kid I liked chicken but was not much into seafood. Except certain Indian fishes like Mackerel (Bhangda) and Pomfret in fried form, I was not interested in fish. However I loved prawns. My mom had no complaints about me finishing off my plate, the day she made it. I enjoy a wide variety of seafood now but my love for shrimps and prawns, is still the same. I think it has a taste that not many who eat it can hate. 

I prepare a very simple, quick dish with shrimps these days. It is just peeled, deveined shrimp tossed together with Indian spices. Simple to make but the taste is elaborate. With my husband being a vegetarian, I can have this dish without sharing :-)


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups shrimp (peeled and deveined)
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 large tomato chopped
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp red chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 3 tsp oil
  • Salt to taste

Directions:

  • In a deep pan, take oil and heat it. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add onions and saute.
  • When onions are browned, add tomatoes and cook.
  • Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix well.
  • Add the shrimps or prawns, whatever you have in hand. 
  • Add salt and garam masala and mix well.
  • Cover and cook the shrimps with the spices on low heat.
  • When the shrimps are done, remove from heat and serve warm with rotis or rice.
  • Enjoy


* You can garnish it with cilantro, as it will make a better presentation with some green color in the dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment