Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rajgira Aloo Paratha (Amaranth flour and potato flat bread)

My husband fasts every Saturday, and though he won't admit why he started doing that, I know the reason. He says it is for health reasons. Well you don't need to do a ritual fast for that! He actually started doing it after his mom was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was early this year and I knew the news was tough on him. My mother-in -law is in Mumbai and we are residing here in US. While she was under the care of my sister-in-law, due to the distance we could not do much for her. I think that is why he started fasting, maybe it was his way of doing something for her. I personally am a non-believer of fasts because I just don't get it, you can have cumin seeds but not mustard seeds, and all such funny rules don't make me feel  close to God. Plus most of the fasting foods are unhealthy, except fruits.

The news of my mother-in law having cancer has changed our life too. We have decided to go back to India for good, because it gets difficult managing family issues from here. With all the visa hassles and work pressure, you also can't travel anytime and stay for long, when needed. I loved my stay here in US and kind of feel bad to go back. It is an amazing country. I love its values of independence, I like american sense of humor and its 'work hard party hard' attitude. Not to forget I also picked up cake decorating skills here and would be open to make it a career option in future. I came here as a girl, at twenty-three with my husband, not knowing much about cooking. I explored cuisines from all over the world in my little kitchen here and what would be a better place than US, which is a melting pot of cultures from all over the world, to blend flavors. I have seen, and learnt a lot from, my mother and mother-in -law cooking, but I found my own style of cooking here, and fell in love with cooking. My daughter, too, was born here. So overall I have lot of good memories in this country. However I came here on H4 visa and that has always been a bone of contention during my stay here. So a part of me is also looking forward to go back. I am happy to know I will be going back a woman enriched with experience and skills. I was born and raised an Indian but US will always have a special place in my heart. Well for now we are just praying for my mother-in-law's health and for strength, while going through all the changes in our lives, we know it's not going to be easy.

Well, since my husband is fasting I still want him to eat healthy during that time. Having someone go through cancer in your family reminds you all the more, to eat healthy. Amaranth flour is very nutritious. It is high in iron, is fiber rich, has calcium and protein too. Amaranth is also gluten free. If you mix amaranth flour and whole wheat flour in equal proportions and make roti out of it, it will be healthier than your regular roti. To make rotis out of amaranth flour it is better to have some kind of binder since it is a gluten free flour. Since whole wheat is not allowed as per those fasting rules, I make these Amaranth parathas with potatoes and not only is it healthy, but tasty too.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup amaranth flour (Rajgira atta)
  • 2 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
  • 2 green chillies, minced
  • a handful cilantro chopped
  • salt to taste
Directions:
  • Mix everything together and knead into dough, without water. If you think you need water add 1 teaspoon  at a time, the potatoes give the needed moisture and binding to form the dough.
  • Divide it into equal parts to make 2"-2-1/2" diameter balls. 
  • Roll each ball to make a flat tortilla shaped roti. Roll it very gently flouring it well. If you put too much pressure or try to roll it too thin, it will get very sticky. You will get a 5"- 6" paratha after rolling.
  • Cook it on a hot griddle on each side, applying little oil on both sides, till brown spots appear.
  • Serve hot with yogurt or vegetable or gravy of your choice.
  • Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment