Friday, June 3, 2011

Meen Kalumbu (Fish Curry)

As I have mentioned in my posts before, I grew up eating mangalorean food and I love chicken curry with rice chips (kori rotti), dry chicken (kori sukka), fish fry (kaidina meen), all mangalorean delicacies. I will post recipes for each one when I get to them. Today I am posting a recipe for meen kalumbu, which is not authentic mangalorean but comes little close to it. I tried it once when I was craving fish and got hooked to it. I can say that it is the best fish curry rather the fish curry which I enjoy the most. I think its roots can be traced to Chettinad (Tamilnadu) cooking.


Ingredients:
  • 6-7 pieces tilapia/ salmon pieces
  • 2 big onions (one chopped fine)
  • 1 tomato chopped fine
  • 1/4 cup grated coconut
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp methi/ fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 green chilly chopped
  • 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
  • 4-5 tsp cooking oil
  • few curry leaves
  • salt to taste
Directions:
  • Grind together one onion, coconut and fennel seeds and keep aside
  • In a deep pot heat oil and add methi seeds, green chilly, curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute well.
  • When the onions lose its color add tomatoes and cook till mushy.
  • Add red chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder and mix well.
  • Add the ground paste and saute till raw smell of onion goes away.
  • Add salt and tamarind pulp, mix well and adjust the consistency of your curry.
  • Add the fish pieces.
  • Keep cooking with a closed lid on medium flame till the fish is cooked.
  • Garnish with cilantro (optional)
  • Enjoy the yummy fish curry with rice or rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment